Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Thanks, Lynn

I haven't seen or talked to Lynn Brown in 22 years, but I suppose I should take a moment to thank her. It was Lynn, at the end of our junior year at Buffalo State College in 1984, who asked me to be one of two copy editors at our school paper, where she had just become the editor-in-chief. It wasn't the job I wanted, but I adopted a "team player" attitude and said yes. Four months later, I got a copy editing internship at the Niagara Gazette. Immediately after graduating from college in 1985, I was hired as a copy editor at The Saratogian. Two-and-a-half years after that, the Freeman hired me as a copy editor. I was promoted to city editor less than three years after that. And the rest, as they say, is history. But it wasn't until tonight, driving home from the job I've had for more than 16 years and thinking about what to write here, that I realized it was Lynn who started me on this path -- with a job offer that didn't even thrill me at the time. Maybe she knew something I didn't. Maybe she didn't have a clue. Either way, it seems an acknowledgement is long overdue. So thanks, Lynn.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger wsh1266 said...

Great way to start out Jeremy! Nice to know how it all started!

Check out The Parent's Eye View Blog, ChrisBrogan.com, GNMParents to see some of the blogs I contribute to on a regular basis- it becomes quite a habit!

May 18, 2007 at 6:18 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home