Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Told ya so

As predicted two entries ago:

With virtually no snow or ice on the roads this morning -- and 18 hours after the school buses got our children home safely in the middle of a heavy snowfall -- the following local school districts (and perhaps others that I don't know about) have announced two-hour delays for today:

Arlington
Cairo-Durham
Catskill
Ellenville
Hunter-Tannersville
Kingston
Onteora
Pine Plains
Red Hook
Rhinebeck
Rondout Valley
Saugerties
Ulster-Greene ARC
Windham-Ashland-Jewett

It's 8:45 a.m. and the roads in my community are clear. Would someone PLEASE explain to me why my 13-year-old son is sitting in front of the TV set instead of sitting in a classroom.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger derek said...

Your logic isn't sound, that's why.

"Success" at doing a dangerous task one time does not imply it is "safe" for all future occurrences. That risk is how Russian Roulette works. :-)

There were plenty of places where the roads *weren't* clear this morning, still. They *had* to get the kids home yesterday afternoon (what was the alternative? hold them hostage at the school?) But, this morning, prudence dictated, perhaps, that making sure *all* roads that busses had to drive on, not just the ones in your particular neighborhood, were as safe as could reasonably be expected.

And, seriously, dude... what does a city editor "do", if nearly 1/2 of your current blog posting are nothing but rants about snow delays and such? :-)

February 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM 
Blogger Johnny said...

Remember, Derek, it's our tax dollars at work here. What ever happened to the 1-hour delay? Seriously, schools should have been on time today. As long as the roads are relatively clear and visibility is good, get it going.

February 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM 
Blogger Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM 
Blogger Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

What I do, Derek, is spend about 10 hours a day (ending around midnight) helping produce the local morning newspaper.
And lest you think I waste hours in the office writing blogs, rest easy. I write my blog at home, on my own time.

February 27, 2008 at 3:07 PM 
Blogger derek said...

Jeremy,

I think you may have been taking my closing comment a little too seriously. It just seems that "snow delays and such" are the dominant topic for your blog. Is that all there is going on worth talking about? :-)

February 27, 2008 at 3:11 PM 
Blogger Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

Derek:
I think I'm just in a bad winter mood.
I'll take your advice and pursue other topics.
As they say in my business: Give the readers what they want.
-J

February 27, 2008 at 5:33 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home