Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

They're stars, and I'm not

Great to hear that Jimmy Fallon, a 1992 graduate of Saugerties High School who spent eight years as a cast member and writer at "Saturday Night Live," is taking over from Conan O'Brien next year as the host of NBC's "Late Night." (O'Brien is jumping to "The Tonight Show" to succeed the departing Jay Leno.)

Affable, funny and with just the right amount of sarcasm in his delivery, Fallon (pictured at left) should do fine as the host of the after-midnight talk show. And I'm proud to say I live in the county where he grew up.
And it turns out that Fallon isn't my only "SNL" connection. Kristen Wiig (pictured at right), who's a member of the current cast, is a graduate of my high school -- Brighton High School in suburban Rochester, N.Y. -- though she passed though its hallowed halls 10 years after me, so we never met.
And Eddie Murphy, one of the show's stars in the 1980s and later a successful movie actor, spent a summer in my hometown when he was a teenager, living with one of my high school classmates as a participant in New York City's "Fresh Air" program, which lets city kids spend a few weeks away from the hectic streets of Gotham.
Oh, yeah. And my wife has a cousin who lives in Chevy Chase, Md. Does that count, too?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home