Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Sticker shock, Part II

While the one-day jump of 13 cents a gallon at a local gas station that I cited three entries ago appears to have been an aberration, my fear that prices at the pump are on their way back up has been confirmed.

Driving from Kingston to the town of Ulster this morning, I noticed that Stewart's at Albany and Foxhall avenues had jumped from $1.58 to $1.64, QuickChek on Albany Avenue had gone from $1.59 to $1.64, and Stewart's at Morton Boulevard and Boice's Lane had risen from $1.58 to $1.65. The only station resisting the trend was Hess on Ulster Avenue, which remained at $1.58, but I'm sure that price will jump in the near future now that all the surrounding stations are charging more.

I can't help but wonder, though: Are the days of 1- and 2-cent increases gone forever? Do the gas price hikes need to be so large? It seems to me that people would be less angry about a 5- or 10-cent jump if it played out over the course of a week or two, rather than occurring overnight.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara O'Sullivan said...

After spending so much time in Florida the last couple of years, I'm just happy that sticker prices are cheaper here than they are there.

The price jumps are ridiculous, though. Especially when you're like me and paying to fuel up a semi...That's when it really starts to hit your pocket. On a good day, a full fuel-up for both tanks will cost me $800....When it was $4/gallon, I was looking at an easy $1000 a fuel-up. Whenever there's a ten-cent different, those 250 gallons can really hurt.

January 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM 
Blogger Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

$800 to fill up?
And to think I used to complain about $50!
I guess I had it easier than I knew.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
-JS

January 5, 2009 at 12:28 PM 
Blogger Lou said...

just a note. i did read sticker shock 1 and noticed that when i came home monday morning the price was still as posted on your column from 3jan09. and there were vehicles buying gas there. go figure...

January 6, 2009 at 7:57 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home