Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Unanimous consent

In more than 21 years at the Freeman. I've developed a pretty good ability to accurately predict the outcome of local elections. And when I get one wrong, I usually can figure out why.

But Tuesday's budget vote results in the 18 school districts we cover have me absolutely baffled.

Given the recession and the fact that 17 of the 18 budgets called for higher property taxes, I figured at least half would be defeated by fiscally fatigued voters.

But, go figure, all 18 budgets were approved - and all by comfortable margins. And numerous separate spending propositions across the region also passed without exception.

It turns out that, after more than 21 years at the Freeman, I still can be surprised.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home