Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reject Beck

Right-wing TV and radio personality Glenn Beck, deflecting allegations that angry rhetoric from the likes of him or Sarah Palin somehow drove Jared Loughner to shoot Democratic U.S. Rep. Gabby Giffords on Saturday in Tuscon, has issued a challenge to all Americans: Reject violence.

Perhaps Mr. Beck should take his own advice. Here's what he said on his syndicated radio show on May 17, 2005:

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore. Could I kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it? No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out."

I know Mr. Beck would like to think he's part of the solution. But in fact, he's part of the problem.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Agreed that rehtoric needs to be toned down, but wouldn't you agree on both sides of the isle? Least you forget that West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin used a high powered rifle to shoot at the cap and trade legislation in one of his election adds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJORBRpOPM&feature=player_embedded


And Palin and Manchin were only 2 of several candidates who used gun imagery in their adds during election season.

January 12, 2011 at 12:16 PM 
Blogger Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

I ABSOLUTELY agree that both sides need to tone it down. Make no mistake, I find Olbermann as annoying as Beck sometimes. I singled out Beck in my posting because of his utter hypocrisy.

January 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM 
Blogger DemsInUlster said...

Leaders who divide rather than unite us cannot be good for this country, no matter what methods they use. Leadership has responsibilities.

January 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home