Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Random observations

* I read this morning that Japanese girls born last year have a life expectancy of 85.8 years. So I wonder: Who do I see about becoming a Japanese girl born last year?

* Barry Bonds went 0-for 3 with one walk last night, leaving him at 755 career home runs, one shy of breaking Hank Aaron’s record. So, naturally, ESPN devoted the first seven minutes of this morning “Sports Center” -- nearly 12 percent of the broadcast -- to Bonds. Who do I see about getting those seven minutes of my life back?

* My wife and son will tell you, and I will freely admit, that I’m an unabashed Rachael Ray fan. And I make no bones about the reason: She’s easy on the eyes. Well, she was easy on the eyes. On her Food Network shows -- “30-Minute Meals,” “$40 a Day” and “Tasty Travels” -- she had this fresh-faced, girl-next-door appeal that was impossible not to like. But ABC, for reasons unexplained, has seen fit to dye her hair nearly black and cover her face with so much makeup and eye shadow that she’s almost unrecognizable on her new network talk show. What a shame.

* Nice to see those aging rockers The Police back together after 20-plus years and sounding as tight as ever. Freeman Life Editor Ivan Lajara and I caught their show Sunday night at Giants Stadium (which is a more intimate venue than you might imagine, but still way too big for a rock concert), and I’m happy to report that Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers (the old man of the band at 64) were as good as when I saw them at the peak of their success in 1983 and 1984. And it was nice to hear them pull out a few long-forgotten chestnuts like “Truth Hits Everybody,” "Bed's Too Big Without You" and the punk rocker “Next to You.” The biggest ovation of the night was for the band’s 1981 hit “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic.” Surprisingly, though, the most lukewarm response during the 19-song set was for the band’s best-selling single, 1983’s “Every Breath You Take.” Perhaps fans finally are sick of it. I know I am.

* Lastly, expect a break in my blog later this month. I'm taking some well-deserved vacation time, and my computer access will be limited for at least part of that period. (In other words, I'm not bringing a laptop to the beach.) But fear not, once I get back to work, it’ll be full blog ahead!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger sherijberi said...

We are RR fans as well and cannot believe how her stylist dresses her. You'd think that her stylist was some tasteless hoochie mama from Bay Ridge or something. Have you looked at her... maybe she is.

August 7, 2007 at 4:22 PM 
Blogger David in DC said...

Every Breath You Take is a song for a stalker.

In later years, Sting was quoted as saying he wrote and recorded "(If You Love Somone) Set Them Free" as a sort of penance.

August 8, 2007 at 3:01 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home