Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Glad he's gone

I voted for Eliot Spitzer when he ran for New York attorney general – both times.

I voted for him when he ran for governor.

I stood firm in my support of him during his tumultuous first year as the state’s chief executive, which was marred by his controversial plan to give driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants and by the now seemingly irrelevant “Troopergate” scandal.

But as soon as I heard about his alleged tryst with a high-priced hooker, and then when it became clear that the allegations were true, I had had enough.

A man I supported and trusted had betrayed me (not to mention his wife, their three teenage daughters and the entire state of New York). He had failed as a governor, as a law-and-order crusader, as a husband, as a father, as a citizen and, perhaps most importantly, as a human being.

When I heard he would be delivering a hastily prepared statement Monday afternoon, I hoped he would have the sense to resign immediately. When he didn’t – and when all of Tuesday passed with no word from him – I feared the worst: that, like Sen. Larry “I Have a Wide Stance” Craig, he would try to hang on.

Thankfully, reason prevailed and the curtain came down on the Spitzer governership midday Wednesday. It was over mercifully fast -- less than 48 hours passed between the first news of the scandal and the resignation announcement – especially when you consider that Richard Nixon lingered for more than two years after the Watergate break-in and that the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky mess dominated the headlines for 13 months.

Spitzer, for all his stupidity, was smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall and beat a hasty path to the exit.

Good riddance.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Rita R. said...

Jer:
For a former New Yorker's perspective of when she first learned of the Spitzer story you might want to check out a post on my blog:
http://ritasmusings.blogspot.com/

I do hope that your new Governor visits your newsroom in Kingston soon. I think you and your staff will enjoy meeting him. I did.

March 15, 2008 at 10:14 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home