Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

As good as Golda

I've been on the receiving end of many odd phone calls at the Freeman City Desk over the past 20 years, but one I took tonight might just top them all.

A woman called around 7 p.m. to tell me her husband had just phoned her from Kingston City Hall to let her know that former Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir was speaking there. The woman, quite excited and completey serious, wanted to know if I was aware of the event and whether we had a reporter covering it.

Just one problem: Golda Meir died in 1978. If still alive today, she'd be 109.

What the caller's husband had stumbled on was a one-woman show about the life of Meir that was being performed at City Hall to coincide with Israel's 60th anniversary.

I didn't get the chance to see the performance, but I'm guessing the woman portraying the former prime minister was very convincing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home