Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

In the bank, in the tank

My wife and I received our "economic stimulus" check the other day. Because we both work and we have one dependent child, we got $1,500.

The Bush administration is hoping we'll use the money to buy a big-screen TV, take a vacation or go to lots of movies and restaurants.

But let's face it: One way or another, the money is going into our gas tank.

I deposited the check in one of our bank accounts, where it will help ease the burden of upcoming credit card bills, but what I should have done was cashed it and asked the teller for the payout in $50 bills. Then I should have stashed the money in my glove compartment so I could just reach for a 50 each of the next 30 times I fill up.

I don't drive much, so the money probably would have covered my fuel costs for the next year ... though that assumes the price of gas won't reach $5 or $8 or $10 a gallon by this time in 2009. If it does, nothing will stimulate the economy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home