Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

The way it was

If nothing else, Walter Cronkite's death on Friday at age 92 should remind us of how honorable and revered TV news was in his time and how dreadful and embarrassing it is today.

In Cronkite's era, TV news was about providing reliable and relevant information. Now it's little more than a venue for spreading rumors and gossip.

I mean, seriously, it probably won't be long before Nancy Grace gives up her nightly Michael Jackson rants on HLN and starts speculating about what drugs Cronkite took before he died, whether his doctors are to blame for demise and who will get custody of - oh, I don't know - his house plants.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

Thank you for taking time to remember Mr. Cronkite. the first sentence on your post says alot and is so very true. I remember watching his last broadcast in mar81.

I remember HLN from yrs ago, and my oh my how bad it is today.

July 18, 2009 at 8:21 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home