Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

My no-texting pledge

For the first time, I own a mobile phone that has a complete keyboard (a so-called QWERTY setup), which is intended to ease the process of typing text messages.

So let me say, here and now, for any and all to read, that I promise to never, ever, EVER send text messages (or read received ones) while driving my car.

It's been just over two years since five teenage girls were killed in a texting-related head-on crash in the Finger Lakes region of New York, and I want no part of any practice that has the potential for - if not the likelihood of - such deadly results.

Recent studies have concluded that texting drivers are just as likely to cause crashes as drunk drivers, and we all know how devastating DWI wrecks can be. So let's not add to the already-too-high body count on our roads by engaging in yet another careless practice while behind the wheel.

I've taken the pledge. I urge everyone else to do the same.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

I have to agree w/your no-texting pledge. I have never done that while driving. And can not imagine doing that, duh?

Just this morning at midnight on route I-287 north, while in the passing lane to go by a 18 wheeler up hill. A driver came up behind me and was going so fast the driver changed back to the driving lane and slammed on the brakes in that she almost hit the back of the truck/trailer. Yep, you guessed it she was texting. I could actually watch her type on the phone with one eye on the road and one on the phone. The sad part is I actually witnessed this as I was part of a two car caravan w/my wife a few mile ahead of me on our way back to Kingston from a destination south of NY.

September 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home