Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Great marks for Marc

We parents sometimes forget to tell our children how proud we are of them, so I thought I take a moment here to do just that -- and for all to see.
We just got Marc's end-of-the-year report card from J. Watson Bailey Middle School in Kingston, where he was in seventh grade this past year, and I'm pleased to report his average for the fourth quarter of 2006-07 was 92.7, assuring him a place on the school's high honor roll for the eighth consecutive quarter. Way to go, Marc!
(BTW, he's getting MUCH better grades in middle school than I did as a child. I didn't really start to blossom academically until college.)
Oddly, Marc hasn't even seen his report card yet -- he's away at summer camp, where he'll get an e-mail about it from me shortly -- so you, dear readers, are learning about his grades even before he is. Doesn't seem fair, really, but I was in the mood to gloat, and I was stuck trying to come up with a blog topic, so Marc will just have to live with being the last to know.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Do you think they use the same grading cure now as when you were in school? It seems that there has been a lot of inflation. Thirty years ago the average grade was somewhere in the upper 70's and low 80's. Today it seems that the goal is to get students near the honor roll minimum of 85, which causes grade inflation. It used to be the top 10% of the school in the 90's on average, and checking the honor role in the paper, now is closer to 20%.

July 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM 
Blogger Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

Bernard:
You may be right about the grading curve being more liberal these days, but at the same time, I think the course material has gotten tougher.
The curriculum in my son's seventh-grade "advanced math" class, for instance, included algebra. I, too, was in advanced math classes, but we didn't touch algebra until eighth grade.
And the science material at the seventh-grade level in my son's school seems like what I was doing in ninth grade.
So I think it's a wash.
Thanks for commenting.
Jeremy

July 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeremy, You are right that the curriculum is tougher, and kids today do learn things earlier than we did. Also is was nothing against Marc who I know is a very smart kid, but I think there is pressure to give a more skewed grading curve today than in the system 30 years ago.

July 5, 2007 at 8:30 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home