Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Monday, June 25, 2007

That was the weekend that was

Had a pretty good weekend ...
* High school graduations -- always an arduous tasks for newspapers to cover --went off without a hitch, and our writers and photographers did a great job covering them. (And congrats to Tommy John Wakeman, son of Freeman county Editor Tom Wakeman, for graduating from Kingston High School on Friday.)
* The Angels, my favorite baseball team for the past 30 years, keep winning, winning, winning. And the Yankees -- the team I love to hate, as regular visitors to this blog know -- keep losing, losing, losing. (And can we agree now that this Roger Clemens comeback is a joke? The guy is 1-1 with a 5.09 ERA. And in his first relief appearance in 23 years, he gave up a hit, a walk and an earned run in one inning of work. He's not helping the Yankees; he's HURTING them.)
* Also on the subject of baseball, Ken Griffey Jr. hit two dingers on Sunday to pass Mark McGwire on the list of all-time home run leaders. It's always nice to see a stand-up guy do better than a cheater. (Note to David in DC: If you accuse Junior of being a "juicer," I'll start posting high school pictures of you!)
* Our son left for eight weeks of summer camp yesterday. We'll miss him, of course, but I'm looking at the bright side: Quieter house, I can sleep in, and the weekly grocery bills will be lower.
* The price of gas is actually falling as the summer begins. I've seen $3.08 around here, and I actually saw $2.99 yesterday in central Massachusetts! But then, $3 gas isn't exactly a bargain, so I'm not sure what I'm so happy about.
* And last, but not least, there are now less than eight weeks to go before my family's annual Cape Cod vacation. Can't wait!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger high maintenance said...

Well maybe the grocerybills will be less, but I forsee, with Mom having more free time, the charge bills will be higher at the department stores.

June 25, 2007 at 7:17 PM 
Blogger David in DC said...

No danger of that.

I love The Kid.

I start him on my fantasy baseball league team week in and week out.

June 26, 2007 at 1:57 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home