Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Radio rehash

Back in June, I wrote in my blog that new radio station WBPM-FM 92.9 was one of my 10 favorite things about living in Kingston. I lauded the station for playing songs from the 1970s and ’80s “without succumbing to the formulaic classic rock format.”

What a difference – and an awful one, at that -- three months makes.

In the last few days, I’ve heard WBPM play “Freebird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd; "Help" by the Beatles; "More Than a Feeling" by Boston; “Honky Tonk Women” and “Paint It Black” by the Rolling Stones; “Wish You Were Here” and “Another Brick in the Wall (Parts 1 and 2)” by Pink Floyd; “Bennie and the Jets” by Elton John; and “Walk This Way” by Aerosmith.

And the station, in its self-congratulatory promos, still has the audacity to claim its playlist is made up of songs I “can’t hear anywhere else.”

Songs I can’t hear anywhere else? More like songs I can hear almost everywhere else – most notably nine notches up the dial at WPDH, which long ago elevated the repetitious play of old, stale rock songs to an art form.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home