Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nearly fed up with Facebook

Facebook is starting to fray my last nerve.

As my friends on the social media network know (thanks to me telling them), I’ve been banned from sending friend requests for 30 days because I allegedly sent such requests to “multiple people” I don’t know. (That’s a lie, by the way; the only friend requests I've sent recently were to people identified by Facebook as "People I may know.")

Today, I accidentally clicked on “Add Friend” when looking at someone’s page, and the following warning popped up on my screen: “You’ve continued to send friend requests to people who don’t know you, even though you’ve been warned. Sending friend requests to people you don’t know personally is against Facebook’s Terms and could be considered harassment. If you don’t change your behavior, you could be permanently blocked from sending friend requests.”

“You’ve been warned”? “If you don’t change your behavior”? What am I, a kindergartner? The power trip that these people are on is unreal.

And it seems to me that only harassment here is being carried out by Facebook — against me.

Incidentally, the passage in today’s warning that says “You’ve continued to send friend requests to people who don’t know you” is nothing short of hysterical. The person I was trying to friend is someone I’ve known since 1976.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger peace said...

I'm probably the only person on the planet who is not on FB, but the more I learn about "it", the less I like. Many people claim to dislike Microsoft (but not me) due to their monopolistic nature, yet they embrace the tyrannical and oft times invasive FB.

I did try making a simple page on FB that was not connected to a personal acct, and it went nowhere and was of no use.

January 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM 
Blogger peace said...

I'm probably the only person on the planet who is not on FB, but the more I learn about "it", the less I like. Many people claim to dislike Microsoft (but not me) due to their monopolistic nature, yet they embrace the tyrannical and oft times invasive FB.

I did try making a simple page on FB recently that was not connected to a personal account, and it went nowhere and was of no use.

January 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM 
Blogger peace said...

Sorry for the double post - Google was in a very bad mood today and no matter how hard I tried, I could not rectify the double post.

January 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home