Blogs > City Editor's Blog

By Jeremy Schiffres, Daily and Sunday Freeman, Kingston, N.Y.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Picture imperfect

OK, about that picture of me -- the one with the baseball cap and sunglasses. Call it my lame attempt at anonymity.

The picture wasn't taken specifically for this page. It actually was shot about a year ago, by my wife, as I sat in the driver's seat of a Chrysler convertible on a sunny and VERY hot day (nearly 100 degrees) in Palm Desert, Calif. But when it came time to select a picture for my blog, it was the obvious choice -- because it hides my face a bit.

It turns out I have the perfect job for a guy whose ego needs to be massaged every now and then but who doesn't want to be recognized. My name is in the paper every day (in the upper left-hand corner of the Opinion page), but because I spend most of my work day in the Freeman's main office on Hurley Avenue in Kingston, my face is not well-known around town. And that's a good thing, because I've come to learn over the years that when people find out I work for the local paper, and that I play a role in deciding what gets into print, they want to bend my ear. A lot. Until it nearly breaks. They want to sound off on local issues, or tell me what's wrong with the paper (including things I have no control over, like delivery), or beg me to get something printed for them, or -- I kid you not -- ask me why we're not able to provide the same depth of coverage as The New York Times.

I suppose I have no one but myself to blame for these encounters -- especially if I've willingly told the people what my job is -- and I'll never shy away from discussing (and defending) the Freeman. But in general, and for the sake of being able to enjoy my time out of the office, the less I'm recognized, the better. So when it came time to select a picture for my blog, I went with the one that disguises me a bit.

But then it dawned on me: When I'm out and about in Kingston on a warm, sunny day like today, I tend to where a baseball cap and sunglasses. So if you're looking for me -- and want to chat me up about the Freeman -- I guess all you have to do is keep an eye out for the guy in the picture. I shouldn't be hard to find.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger wsh1266 said...

I think what you'll find with social media, is that after a while, your public face and private face merge. And you are who you are.
Yes, there are safety and privacy issues, but you'll draw those lines when you need to- just like we all learn to avoid the obnoxious people at parties, or having one of "those" conversations with our parents.

Like the picture, btw.

June 1, 2007 at 1:26 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home